Tuesday, September 10, 2013

The beginning of IM TN Journey - Sept. 10, 2013


SEPTEMBER 10, 2013

Well, here I am again embarking on another Ironman Journey.  Ironman Tennessee, Chattanooga, Choo, Choo, which is holding this event to support and raise awareness for people with Crohn's and Colitis.  Doing another ironman was a difficult decision for me as 2013 was a year in which I struggled with my health in many ways and had a difficult time completing many of the races and events I had hoped to do.  This happens, however, I did stay active and train throughout the year as this always helps me feel sane.  I apparently have what "they" refer to as serious auto immune diseases which consists of Crohn's and Celiacs which impacts many of our internal bodily systems and controls.  I don't absorb nutrition like "normal" bodies do in addition to the other issues associated with Crohn's and Celiacs.  This is in addition to having a bike accident on July 4th in which I fractured my shoulder with 3 tears.  My decision to go forward with this Ironman was the connection and awareness this will have for people with Crohns, Colitis and many "gut" issues.  Providing awareness for these debilitating and chronic diseases is important to me as well as encouraging those with any chronic conditions to stay active and healthy!

My goal is to raise at least $5,000 for research and patient services as there is currently no cure for these diseases and to have at least 1,000 people learn something more about Crohns, Colitis and Celiac diseases.  My goal is to help others at least maintain a healthy quality of life no matter what condition they may suffer from.  Many of these conditions lead into Colon cancer which is scary as I have a few family members who have passed on in this life from colon cancer. 

I will blog about my journey here, the good and the not so good.  My next and final attempt at racing in 2013 will be on September 21st at the Bugeye event on the eastern shore.  This is an international distance event. 

Click on the link above to help me achieve this

No comments:

Post a Comment